SUNY Oswego men’s ice hockey postseason success

The Lakers celebrate after defeating Bowdoin 4-3 in the Campus Center Ice Arena.
The Lakers celebrate after defeating Bowdoin 4-3 in the Campus Center Ice Arena.  (Photo by Seamus Lyman)

The SUNY Oswego men’s ice hockey team traveled to Babson, Mass. to take on Babson College in the NCAA Championship quarterfinals on Sunday. The Lakers (22-6-2) upset the Beavers in a 3-0 shutout.

As the Lakers head to the Frozen Four, for the fifth straight year, in Lewiston, Maine, let’s see how the team got this far.

Coming into the season after losing 14 seniors, hopes were low that the team could pull off another SUNYAC Championship. The Lakers made it to the SUNYAC Championship tournament. They were three two wins away from the championship game.

Opening with SUNY Fredonia, SUNY Oswego would win 3-2. The Lakers then went on the road to take on arch rival the SUNY Plattsburgh Cardinals. Oswego goalie Matt Zawadzki helped lead his team to a 2-1 victory over Plattsburgh.

This sent them into the SUNYAC Championship against SUNY Geneseo. The number one overall SUNYAC seeded Knights hosted the Lakers. The last time the two met in the SUNYAC Championship game, Oswego won it 6-2 in 1991.

Despite taking a commanding 5-1 lead, the Lakers would allow the Knights to come back tying the game 5-5. With 28.7 seconds left in the third period and a score of 6-6, Laker forward Shawn Hulshof would score the game winning goal. Oswego punched their ticket to the NCAA tournament by being SUNYAC Champions.

In the opening round of the NCAA tournament, the Lakers hosted the Bowdoin College Polar Bears. After being down 3-1, Oswego rallied to come back and win 4-3. This lead them to a victory over Babson College.

Oswego will now face the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point in Lewiston, Maine. The pointers are 21-5-2 on the season. Puck drops at 7:30 p.m. on Friday.

It should be noted that SUNY Geneseo is playing in the other Frozen Four matchup against St. Norbert College. That game will be played at 4 p.m. on Friday, also in Lewiston.